Injured at Work?

How to submit claims for work related injuries

Each U.S. state has a program set up to distribute workers compensation benefit payments to employees who have experienced a work-related injury or illness. This can provide disability payments, and pays for medical claims associated with that medical condition. This medical coverage usually has no deductible or out of pocket costs.

Some employers discourage submitting a claim to workers compensation because it may affect their insurance rates, however, it is important that work related claims be submitted promptly to the workers compensation insurance company. This will:

  • Assist in efforts to claim disability payments
  • Reduce your out of pocket costs
  • Helps ensure that your medical bills will be paid (work related claims are not covered by your sponsor’s insurance)

What do I do if I get injured on the job? 

  • Seek appropriate emergency care if appropriate.
  • Advise your supervisor as soon the injury happens.
  • Visit the health care provider that is designated by your employer for your job related injuries. Proof in the form of X-rays and other medical reports is usually required for documentation. Also, consider requesting a blood and drug test to rule out any denial of your claim due to drug or alcohol use.
  • Complete the workers compensation forms available from your supervisor or the Worker’s Compensation insurance company (this company information is generally posted at your workplace). Be sure to document on the form where the injury happened, how and where the injury occurred, what tools or machinery may have been involved and whether any witnesses were present when the incident happened.

For additional information about your Workers Compensation insurance coverage, ask your employer or the insurance company posted at your workplace.

For more detailed information about Workers Compensation Insurance in your state  go to the US Department of Labor Workers Compensation website, and click on the state name at the bottom of the page. This will bring you to the appropriate state page.

For general information about Worker’s Compensation claims, go to